Sunday, August 22, 2010

Extra Terrestrial 51k

Sitting in my hotel room relaxing after the ET 51k in Rachel, NV. My quads are still in pain after the 1,000 foot clime. The race was an adventurer, not only the race. First the packet pickup was at the hard rock cafe. It was interesting to see the mixture of runners and par tiers at around 8:30 Saturday night. The next part of the adventure was the bus ride. The bus driver passed every car, semi, other buses going at top speed over the dark single lane highways. That was a little scary.

The race: the extra terrestrial full moon 51k, marathon, half marathon, and 10k. I ran the 51k. Everyone we met at the black mail box on the extra terrestrial highway, this is the box where federal agents know where to turn into area 51. All of the runners where given glow necklaces. Everyone had to where a headlamp. The 51k and marathon began at midnight and we ran. The half and 10k drove up the road to start. It was flat for the first 9 miles or so. I was feeling real good and pushed it a little too much. Then it gradually got steeper and steeper. Miles12-13 where the worst, it was an extremely long clime from 4500-5500 feet in elevation.

After the hill it became steady and I got my groove back, then my dinner started rumbling in my stomach. The pain in my quads caught up to me around mile 22-26. By mile 28 I started feeling good again. Had good conversation with a fellow Brooks ID member from california and pushed it the last mile and passed a bunch of people.

Running under the stars was awesome. The headlamp, while the fool moon was out made it harder to see. I turned it off and got to see some great views of the stars. When the fool moon went down around 4am it became pitch black.

Overall it was a great race and a great time. Awesome t-shirt, neat metal.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Training Widget